• You cannot reply to this topic

D7 Vs. Camel : Contest Pepe Vs. Pentallion

#1 User is offline   Clay Pigeon 

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • posts 30

Posted 12 February 2003 - 08:55 AM

I read the report of this fight with interest over on WOV, and I congratulate Pepe on his victory. It is possible to beat the Camel in a D7.

But...

It's possible to beat the Camel in a D2. I've seen Butcherbird do it 3 times in a row. ;)

So what did the contest prove? Nothing, really.

If you want a REAL test, I propose doing it on a LAN, with caparable computer set-ups. Perhaps something like this can be done at Rhinebeck? With no lag, and equal graphic cards and systems, you might get a better idea of what the game aircraft are really like. :)

CP

#2 User is offline   An Unarmed Man 

• Observer
  • PipPip
  • posts 71

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:02 PM

I've always been a big believer of Pilot over airplane. I can do things in a Snipe that others can't, people can do things in it that I can't. Sure your Pc plays some factor, but not as much as people make it out to be in my opinion. There are certain fights i've been in where I've had 6 people shooting at me and i've made it out alive, yet i've been against other people who blow my top wing off in the 3rd pass. Butcherbird flies the D2 very well, he's invested alot of time into it and knows every little quirk in it, it's not his PC that allows him to know this, it's the time and effort he's invested to learn the plane.

I love the people who come into servers and say, "Why won't this dang plane turn?" as they sit there wallowing in the mud in there Alb Dva. Could it possibly be that the plane your flying isn't suited for the turning role? lol

But that's just my opinion ;)
Salute!
Capt. Unarmed AAM***, BS
Fighter Pilot
Royal Air Corps

#3 User is offline   Clay Pigeon 

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • posts 30

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:08 AM

Ah, the old "Nature vs. Nurture" debate. ;)

I have to disagree, Unarmed. Poor equipment and a lousy connection can certainly affect any virtual pilot's performance. Good equipment and a solid connection can affect performance just as well.

One of the things I always noticed, while observing the flying techniques of others, is where they are firing. KA7_Vondad, one of the best Dr1 drivers in the game under AFM, always astonished me because he was firing at aircraft at least a plane's length behind where I saw them. Vondad was not seeing what I was. He was firing at, and hitting, a target that was no longer there.

This is not to say that skill with your equipment doesn't play a role. However, getting that setup tweaked just right might just play a more important role.

We'll never know until we try it on a level playing field, thus the debate on what aircraft will outperform the other (in game terms) is moot. That's all I'm saying.

Clay Pigeon

#4 User is offline   Pentallion 

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • posts 25

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:52 PM

It was a fun fight. I didn't feel I put up as good a fight as I should have. Pepe, on the other hand, was quite on top of his game. A very good flyer.

Still, I believe the Camel beats the tar out of the D7. Back when I flew RB all the time and the Camel was my plane of choice, only ButcherBird could give me a challenge. It's all about timing, which after flying IL-2 so much lately, my timing was all off during the duel.
I believe people's systems have some say over things. But I don't believe it did in my duel.

#5 User is offline   An Unarmed Man 

• Observer
  • PipPip
  • posts 71

Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:57 AM

The reason I say this point is because I fly with one of the worst PC's in this game probably, even on the Red Baron box it says I have the minimum requirements lol

Pentium 1 133 MHZ
64 MB RAM
Win 95
2 GB hard drive

I mean i've tweaked with it a little, nothing major but i've bumped my internet connection, set the refresh rate on the Voodoo 3 3000 I have (It's in the only PCI slot this PC has lol) and I get a comfortable 20 FPS in 1 vs 1 high alt combat, 30+ when climbing, and about 14-15 when I'm diving into a furball. Considering these people getting 80+ as a minimum FPS, i'm jealous to say the least. I run with a 56k internal modem, connected through AOHell, I don't have that many nets or lags. I know one guy who plays CFS and CFS2, tried playing red baron on my PC and he couldn't due to the FPS lol. I'm by no means a good pilot, I just attack with advantages, I have pretty good aim, in the RAC practices I have a nasty habit of hitting just the wingtips of my squadmates then just flying away from them lol. I've gone so far as to aim just for one guys landing gear. What i'm saying is that i'm not the best, but i'm considered pretty good, even though my PC is pretty much crap.

Through my own experience is why I say it's pilot over PC and plane. Heck I started this game in the AFM servers with just a keyboard, managed to run up a pretty high score on the US94th's killboard while I was doing this. But I mean I guess it could be the fact that i've been flying this game for 4 years about lol, I was here just when we were switching from Simcombat to the first WoH site.

But that's just my opinion
Salute!
Capt. Unarmed AAM***, BS
Fighter Pilot
Royal Air Corps

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users