Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
WoH Uni-WWI Cougar - Wings Of Honor

WoH Uni-WWI Cougar

6 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

What is it?

A project for a Unified W.W.I setup for the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar by Wings of Honor.

I have several W.W.I flight simulations I fly occasionally and I want to have the same HOTAS setup for them on my Cougar. The problem is the very different key assignments and philosophies of those W.W.I flight simulations. I first tried to remap the key assignments for each flight simulation but found out that some key combinations could not be altered or implemented. Then I went with having different macro files (.tmm) for the sims but still needed to do the programming with different code in the program files (.tmj) because each sim expects its inputs differently. While one sim has different keys or key combination assigned for say engine on/off others just have the same key and expect a toggle command.

Therefore I now started to make program and macro file combinations for each sim but with the same mapping and handling on the Cougar HOTAS. That means that one needs to program the stick when changing the simulation but that is a small price and it can be done automatically by the Foxy Cougar Launcher.

The advantage is the same handling and philosophy of the Cougar for each sim. I started with the W.W.I flight simulations 'Over Flanders Fields' (OFF) and 'Rise Of Flight' (RoF) and after having completed the basis of the HOTAS programming I plan to expand tp 'First Eagles' and 'Red Baron II/3D'.

Of course having a unified approach will have some disadvantages, for example where a flight sim does not have a functionality another one has the functions can not be implemented and will be missing. For example in 'Rise Of Flight' you have to adjust the radiators for water cooled engines which is not implemented in 'Over Flanders Fields'. Therefore the buttons will be without function in the 'Over Flanders Fields' programming.

Other functions - although missing - could be made up. For example as OFF is based on a W.W.II flight sim engine (Combat Flight Simulator 3) there is no Blip switch for rotary powered aeroplanes. But I think this can be made up with some macro programming.

For using TrackIR and Teamspeak with WoH Uni-WWI Cougar you need to re-program the key combinations from their function key setting (you have to do that anyway as flight sims do use all function keys). For example I now re-center my TrackIR with SHIFT+CTRL+F12 instead just F12. Currently no W.W.I flight sim uses this combination.

O.k., this was a short introduction. If you are interested in this project please post your feedback here.

In the following I will post my program and macro files combinations for the various W.W.I flight sims. This will be an ongoing project and I will update them frequently as I go along. First it will also just basic key assigning and easy macro programming, later it will evolve.

Cheers
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

Wings Of Honor - Where Combat Simulation Begins!
--Resize_Images_Alt_Text--
Your W.W.I Flight Sim Resource: News, Forums, Links, Downloads ...

Jagdstaffel 66 (J66_GremlinCO)

"It was my opinion that no kill was worth the life of a wingman ..."
Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, highest scoring fighter ace in WWII (he never lost a wingman)

#2 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Setup Principles - Part 1
--------------------------

To comprise all useful (but not all available) functions on the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar I made a separation in primary flight functions, secondary flight functions and basic game functions which is done by using the dogfight switch T7/T8.

Dogfight Switch T7/T8

/D ... Primary flight functions (pilot/dogfight): engine, target and weapon management
/M ... Secondary flight functions (bombardier, engineer, navigator, observer): bombing, navigation, station control and trimming
/U ... Basic game/setup functions: player view position and camera view management

The philosophy is to only have those function in each situation available which are useful for it. For example using a new plane one would adjust the viewing position by going into the basic game/setup mode and doing the changes there and saving these. This has to be done once per plane. Before take-off one would switch to the secondary flight controls and adjust plane trim there. This possibly has to be done before each flight or after take off if the trim settings can not be saved. At take-off one would switch T7/T8 into dogfight position to access engine controls as fuel mixture or radiator position which also is needed during a dogfight. After take-off with engine settings settled one would switch from primary flight controls back to secondary to access navigation helps like flight map or waypoint controls. To adjust engine parameters a switch to primary flight controls may be possible. Therefore switching back and forth may be required. But when a dogfight situation occurs you want to access only relevant controls like weapon, engine, targeting and view controls.

Now to the control groups. As the amount of hat-switches and buttons is limited compared to the possible game commands a selection of useful commands and a grouping in useful functional groups had to be made. I came up with this:

Hat H1 ... View controls
Hat H2 ... Targeting controls (primary flight functions), crew handling controls (secondary flight functions)
Hat H3 ... Navigation (secondary flight functions)
Hat H4 ... Communication: voice and chat (primary functions), visual signals and AI wingmen commands(secondary flight functions)

... to be continued
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, highest scoring fighter ace in WWII (he never lost a wingman)

#3 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Reserved for Setup Principles - Part 2
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

#4 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Reserved for WoH Uni-WWI OFF Cougar
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

#5 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Reserved for WoH Uni-WWI RoF Cougar
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

#6 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Reserved for WoH Uni-WWI FE Cougar
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

#7 Gremlin_WoH

Flight Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

Reserved for WoH Uni-WWI RB3D Cougar
Gremlin_WoH
Webmaster

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users