Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
New WW1 figher sim project seeking help - Wings Of Honor

New WW1 figher sim project seeking help

1 reply to this topic

#1 JanBenes

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hello,
together with another 4 programmers from Charles University, Prague (Czech Republic) - we're preparing a WW1 fighter project (in order to fulfil one of the requirements of our studies). We are looking for a few volunteers to help us with some of the aspects of the game.

We seek:
- 3D ARTISTS - mainly aircraft models and textures, but some other models, i.e. airfields, village buildings, anti-aircraft cannons etc. might be required. We plan to model the terrain procedurally (and some models, such as trees). We will be using ORGE 3D engine (http://ogre3d.org), which has a set of export plugins for SoftImage, 3D Studio MAX, Maya, Blender, Wings3D, LightWave, TrueSpace, Cinema4D, DeleD, AC3D, Milkshape and some others (http://www.ogre3d.or.../OGRE_Exporters). Some constraints might be placed on the models (number of polygons/tris etc.) IDEAL CANDIDATE would have previous experience with modelling and/or texturing (work samples welcome!) and be willing to alter the models to the game's needs on request if needed. We expect that after some initial work, this process is quite time flexible (as the models themselves are not absolutely neccessary for development). WE ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT SINGLE MODELS :)
- HISTORIANS - someone to do most of the research, provide us with which ace pilot was active during what part of the war, what airplane he flew and when and what properties/features it had (climbing, air time, reliablity etc.), what airfields were positioned where and when, where the front was actually positioned, what kind of manoeuvres were common and what they looked like. IDEAL CANDIDATE would have the WW1 aviation as his hobby, knowing most of the stuff of the top of his had or knowing where to find it, should be friendly, cooperative (essential ability!) and be able to dedicate as much time as is needed, able to consult problems we might have regarding the physical model (from experience). We only know a little about WW1 aviation :)
- BETA TESTERS - people who would help with the testing process throughout the development of the game. It is VERY important to emphasize that that doesn't mean just occasionally playing the game, but that means repetitively testing the one and same bug, trying things you had tested before but that have changed, testing things and interactions that are to costly for the developer to test (play the game for a few hours and tell us about all crashes, when they happen, what have you done before they happened, etc). Although it might not seem so, this is not a easy thing to do! IDEAL CANDIDATE would understand it's not playing the game before it's released, be reliable, cooperative, have time to spare.

All candidates should have a basic sense of decency, be reliable in that 1) they do what they promise and don't promise what they can't do 2) inform the team when they're about to be unavailable and when they'll be available again and respond within reasonable time span when they are available. We don't expect seasoned professionals, we understand that special events in human life occur, that you might get ill, that you have family and friends, that you might overestimate yourself and that's ok (if you're ready to admit it as soon as you realize it!). Groups of people (modders from other projects) are welcome! Beta testers will probably have a cheif beta tester assigned. So might artists, but we're not sure yet. We're also not sure about the number of people we need. Don't hesitate to contact us even if you don't have the ideal candidate's skills - that's an ideal candidate.

If there was a REAL PILOT whom we could consult with, that would be absolutely perfect!

We offer:
- no money
- fair share of credit on the game
- hopefully a friendly and supportive team (we do more than we have
to, we all do it because we want to)
- the game, of course ;)

Extras:
- at the moment, there's a 50-50% chance that the project will be overseen by a professional game team leader/programmer

We are:
- 5 programmers, all of us in at least the 4th year of University
- past (although not vast) experience in the field of computer graphics, game development, team projects, AI
- serious about finishing it (a larger project is necessary for us to finish our Master's degree)

What are the risks:

- the game will not get finished
- the game will take longer than planned
- the game will not be as good as planned
- some of the work you do might not get integrated

those are not fictional risks, these things might happen, but obviously we don't want them to happen and we'll do everything we can to avoid them. But they still might happen.

More about project:
CURRENT STATE: early planning, team building - a lot of things still could change
ROUGH IDEA: WW1 fighter sim, more realistic than arcade (mouse + keyboard as controls), but not a 100% sim, career mode, reasonable AI
EXPECTED DURATION: between 8 and 16 months (finish between June 2009 and February 2010)
EXPECTED LICENSE: freeware

Suggestions are welcome, but please understand that features such as network play and others are non-trivial and we only have a limited time frame.

If you're interested, either leave a message including a way to get in touch with you here or mail straight to me at jbenes (at) gmail (dot) com and include "volunteer" somewhere in the subject so that you bypass the spam filters.

thanks!

#2 JanBenes

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hi,
I wanted to inform you on the current progress of the project and encourage you, we need you :)

It's now settled that our project will be overseen by a professional game developer.

Other than that, we've been joined by 3 new people, all willing to work predominantly in the history/beta testing area.

We're still seeking 3D ARTISTS, there must be some people who've modeled some airplanes and would be willing to share them (if not willing to make new ones)!

contact mail jbenes (at) gmail (dot) com or post here, thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users