Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_8/skin_topic.php:909) in /usr/www/users/zf5f1i565/forums/ipboard/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
New news in the Targetware Forum - Wings Of Honor

New news in the Targetware Forum

5 replies to this topic

#1 JoGunn

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:17 AM

Targetware's WW1 mod is making some noise. Come fly with us.

Check the Target Flanders forum below for more.

#2 RAC_lil'sparrow

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:24 PM

Salute:

Tell us more about Targetware Jo.

#3 JoGunn

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 12:20 AM

Targetware is a flight simulator engine that provides a platform for the community to build a mod for any era that they wish to fly in.

www.targetware.net

A long while back when I first heard of this I inquired about whether they would be doing a WW1 mod. I had been flying in IeN's Dawn of Aces but was frustrated with the lack of any real development over the years that I had flown there. To make a long story short I was interested in starting a mod but did not have the gumption :) to begin the task myself.

A group of interested folks did decide to start Target:Flanders and made some good progress with it. For reasons ranging from real life interfering to a perceived limitation that prevented them from making a mod that resembled WW2online (for WW1) the original team has drifted away. I did not want to see the work that had been started go to waste so I decided to roll up my sleeves and give it a go. We have a small group working together now and with the help of some of the folks putting Target:Rabaul and Target:Korea together have made significant progress.

Target Flanders is set in the early years of the war. One disadvantage of representing that time period is the technology swings from planes developed for either side give that side a definate edge.

I plan to finish polishing up Target:Flanders and archiving (Shelving) it for those original mod developers should they ever decide they want to pick it up and run with it again.

In it's place my team will introduce a new WW1 mod for Targetware that incorporates the planes currently available with TF and adding a variety of new aircraft. I will introduce planes following the timeline that they were actually seen in action. I also plan to run scenarios with late war aircraft that will be segregated from the early combat planes. When a full planeset is developed branching scenarios will be used to take you from the earliest days of the war to the machines that were flown at the end.

The best thing I can say about Targetware is that the players control the development. We do not have to wait for a "Suit" sitting at his big mahogony desk to decide to cut away a artist or two and a programmer from his shiny WW2 sim to toss a few bones to the WW1 crowd.

We can also free you from your voodoo cards and glide wrappers although I don't want to take anything away from all the incredible work that's gone on with the Red Baron Faithful. (I never had any luck getting online with my patched up RBII but have seen some of the very nice screenshots) I'd do handstands and flipflops if just some of the talented folks working on Red Baron took an interest in Targetware and helped propel us to a fully fleshed out WW1 Sim.

Targetware will eventually charge $10.00 a month for full access to any and all of the mods that are developed. Right now that includes the Korean AirWar, WW2 Pacific theatre and WW1. There is a group working on the Vietnam conflict and the Spanish Civil War as well as the Italian front in WW1 and WW2.

Some pilots I've talked with would rather light their hair on fire than pay to fly. I've found that the $0.33 cents a day I've paid in the past for a perpetual online arena where I can find friends to fly with and against is the best money I've ever spent for entertainment. That small charge does wonders keeping the buffers empty of profanity and childishness that i've seen on some of the free game servers as well.

My goals are to develop a sim that is historically accurate and most importantly "fun".

The open beta period will run for some time to come as far as I know. Now is a great time to stop over to targetware.net Open a free account Download the targetware sim engine, enter your username and password in settings and download any or all of the 4 mods currently available. (the fourth mod is Targetware General Aviation which has a Cessna and a stunt plane modeled to allow pilots who actually know the feeling of flying a cessna to evaluate the targetware flight model and compare it to their real life experiences)

Once you have the WW1 mod installed

Hit ' twice to set your mixtures to rich and hit E to start your engine. Don't forget to kill your engine on a extended dive since the fixed pitch prop will over rev and toast your cylinders.

Come check it out.

JoGunn

#4 RAC_lil'sparrow

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 02:27 AM

Salute:

Many thx JoGunn. I'll drop by in the new year.

#5 LWulffe CR

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 12:18 AM

It's well worth the download.

The planes are great both the fm and the graphics, the buildings, balloons, etc are very nice too.

The only things that detract from the experience is the DOA type of distance modeling (square blocks) for almost everything.

If I had to rate it as is...

FM = 9.0 (but I am no expert)

Cockpit and plane graphics = 9.0 (gauges not working yet so no 10)

Additional structures (Dromes, balloons etc) = 8.5 (no working ambulances etc :) )

Terrain detail = 6.5 (very blah and non descript but its not very important as this is a flight sim)

Distance rendering = 2 (the effort to atleast show distant objects was attended to, but needs work IMO )

Over all = 8.0

These ratings should by no means stop you from trying this game yourselves. I recommend it highly for those interested in WWI aviation.

The comparison to Red Baron 3D is difficult as there really isn't any. (But I do not have Full Canvas Jacket and this might change this statement)

I will also say that when this game goes pay to play, I will be one of the ones to drop it from my hard drive. No matter if it's $.33 a day or anyother fee... it's just something that I do not do. Sad but true.

A better option to me, would be to charge a fee for the download of the game (or a cd to be sent in mail etc).
This I would do.

Anyhow ramble is ended.

If you read this far thanks, if not.... no worries I would not have either probably. :D

Salut? from CR
Salut? from CR

Member of The Lone Wulffe Squadron
Lone Wulffe Den

#6 JoGunn

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:54 AM

I wanted to take just a minute to let you know that a new mod is in the works to replace the Target:Flanders mod for Targetware's community developed flight sim.

If you are intested keep an eye on the forums over at www.targetware.net

We are in the midst of testing on closed servers at the moment while we await some final tweaking and updating of our aircraft. I am happy to say we have some good news on the modeling front with some great contributions coming online. We still have a bottleneck getting 2D artwork in the form of aircraft and cockpit skins done. This will slow but not stop the process of introducing new aircraft. The flight model is evolving with some very good responses from a variety of Air Sim pilots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users